History

John Wesley visited Greenside in 1751, where he noted that he had the largest congregation he'd ever seen in the north of England. In 1781 a large house was converted into a place of worship for the Methodists.

St. John’s Church, Greenside

History St Johns Church.

St John 's Church is formally known as St John’s the Evangelist. It was founded by Archdeacon Charles Thorp as a Chapel of Ease to Ryton Parish in memory of his father, the Rector of Ryton, 1795 to 1807, built from stone from the Overstone Quarry.  It was consecrated on 18 September 1857, by the Bishop of Durham.

Please click on this link for more information.

1857 to 1957 Centenary Magazine, St John the Evangelist

Church of the Holy Spirit, Crawcrook

In 1905 a second church was built in Greenside Parish. The corrugated iron exterior of the new building soon earned for it the local name of the “Tin Church’. The corrugated iron exterior of the new building soon earned for it the local name of the “Tin Church’. By the 60s the “Tin Church” had served its day, and was in need of considerable repair.  

History Church of the Holy Spirit 1977The site of the “Garden House” farmhouse and outbuildings had been purchased as early as 1950 and by the mid-60s the new “Church of the Holy Spirit” was taking visible form. The new Church of the Holy Spirit was dedicated by the Bishop of Jarrow in March 1967. This was followed in October 1975 by the dedication of a Clergy Vestry and a Memorial Chapel to two local sisters who had died tragically. Then on the 3rd April, 1977, the new church hall was dedicated, again by the Bishop of Jarrow.

Please click on this link for more information.

The Parish of Greenside 90 years on... by Vicar Campbell T. Matthew, Oct 1977

Greenside Church Hall

Greenside Parish Hall 1906£1,100 was spent on the construction of a corrugated iron and timber parish hail and this was opened on the 6th January, 1906. Now known as St John’s Community Hall, it underwent a four year major restoration, ending with an opening ceremony celebration in June 2012, at the same time as the celebrations of the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II.

Please click on these links for more information.

Greenside Church Hall, 1906

Opening of Greenside Church Hall, 1906